There are many aspects that go into a successful photoshoot. One of those aspects is outfits. I believe outfits can play an important part in the overall look of the images. When you choose outfits you love and feel good in, you will love the images even more. It allows you to be in the moment with your loved ones instead of worrying about how uncomfortable the outfits are, or how you might portray yourself in them.
I have several resources to help you find and coordinate outfits to save you stress and time - this style guide to give you tips on what to wear and what not to wear, as well as my interactive styling resource, Style & Select.
Style & Select is an interactive & shoppable styling resource that shows you hundreds of photo worthy tops, bottoms, dresses, and accessories pulled in from well known retailers to give clients, like you, an easier way to figure out what the wear. You just pick your favorites and shop from the Style Board email! If you have something you have found online or that you love in your own closet, feel free to upload an image into the custom upload button so you can see how it coordinates with the rest of the family's selections.
Once you have selected your favorites, you can then email yourself the styling board and you will have links directly to the retailer for purchasing. I will receive a copy of your results so I can assist with any changes or offer advice. Check out instructions on how to further utilize Style & Select and some of my tips on styling in the next couple pages.
How to Utilize Style & Select
- Use my personal styling link and enter the styling code provided in your welcome email to access the styling questionnaire.
- The link will take you to my "landing page" which will give you access to a helpful video tutorial to further explain how to use Style & Select.
- Once you are prepped with the above info - proceed to the questionnaire where you will fill out your info for each person in the session and choose two color combinations. The styling code needed to access the questionnaire can be found in the email you received from me.
- The results page is where the fun begins! You will see options for each person in the session and can toggle between each person to select outfits.
- If you need extra guidance you can click the '?" icon at the bottom of the page.
- The shopping cart icon takes you to the retailers site to make sure the size you need is still available.
- The heart icon under each item is used to select your favorites. Once favorited, the item will display on the Style Board. You can remove and replace items as you go through the styling process.
- You can view other options with the 'edit questionnaire' button to change the color combination or style vibe. Your Style Board will remain with your selections.
- Once you have finished selecting your favorites and are happy with all of the outfits, you can click "send selected items" and email yourself your style board and I will receive a copy as well.
- Style & Select is updated daily, and sold out items are deleted weekly, so there is no guarantee that your favorited items will be available in days to come. It is best to style and purchase any items you love on the same day.
- These results can also be used as inspiration as you shop your favorite local stores or even your own closets.
Style & Select Video Tutorial
Helpful Styling Tips
Things to include:
These tips can amp up your look and make your outfits cohesive, stylish, and flattering.
- Accessories: Jewelry, hats, suspenders, knee high socks, cardigans, vests, and hair bows can add layers and help coordinate across multiple people..
- Multiple colors: Choose a 2-3 colors color palette in the same tone and sprinkle in some neutrals to avoid matching.
- Patterns and textures: Don't be afraid to mix patterns such as florals and stripes, or plaids and polka dots. Adding in textures such as velvet, lace, crochet, or corduroy can also add visual interest.
- Colored pants: If you are going for an all neutral look, or lots of earth tones, blue denim jeans can throw off the overall look. Instead, use complimetary colored chinos such as olive, burgundy, khaki, grey, etc.
- Outfits with movement: Picking outfits that can be flowy and show a lot of movement for the girls can create magical images. Stay away from stiff and tight fabrics. Flowy maxi dresses and skirts are great options. If you are wanting a more casual look, wide leg pants, colored trouser pants, or shorter dresses are also a great option.
- Flattering fits: Accentuate what you love and don't hide your entire body. Shift dress can create unflattering illusions, instead, select a flowy wrap maxi that accentuates your curves without being too form fitting.
Things to avoid:
You and your family are the main focus in the images, so avoid these following things that can be distracting and unflattering in images.
- Bright neon colors: Neon colors can be distracting and cause color casts on your skin.
- Athletic tennis shoes: Dress the part from head to toe. If you have amazing outfits, but your child is wearing athletic tennis shoes with bright neon colors, it can throw off the entire look. Instead, choose casual tennis shoes such as sperrys, boots, booties, or neutral colored sandal.
- Large logos: logos can be distracting.
- Everyone in jeans: Change it up with different colors or styles of pants
- Loud patterns: They are often too distracting. Do not take away from the main focus: YOU!
- Don't overly match: Coordinate instead. Choosing several colors instead of only two will allow you to tie in more variety.
- Avoid too much black: The photo looses depth if everyone is in all black. Instead, choose other colors such as whites, tans, greys, or ivories to break up the black.
- Same patterns: Don't mix the same patterns twice. i.e. all boys in plaids. All girls in Floral. Instead, mix a pattern with a different pattern (stripes and florals).